Re: Time to start the PR machine

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Lance Obermeyer <LObermey(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Time to start the PR machine
Date: 2005-08-31 00:31:02
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Lance,
>
>> Not just a raw number, but a comparison to 7.x numbers (even if
>> estimated).
>>
>> "PostgreSQL 8.0 enjoys growing user interest, generating over 1 million
>> downloads in 6 months. This compares with 300,000 over the first six
>> months of the prior release, demonstrating the project's acceleration in
>> the minds of database users."
>
> Unfortunately, we don't have anything approaching a good estimate of 7.4
> downloads. :-( Bascially, we have bittorrent numbers, and numbers from
> the main FTP server -- and those only for the month of release.

Umm, I can give you logs on ftp.postgresql.org going back to Apr 12th of
2004, if that will help any? Nope, 7.4 was released Nov 16th of 2003 ...
oh, looks like I can give back to Jun 4th 2003, since the xferlog on
developer.postgresql.org (where ftp.postgresql.org used to point) goes
back that far ... might help gets some half-decent estimations?

----