Re: BUG #1831: plperl gives error after reconnect.

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1831: plperl gives error after reconnect.
Date: 2005-08-19 15:10:45
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 01:56:39PM -0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> > Tom Lane once mentioned that "Valgrind is fairly useless for debugging
> > postgres," but has anybody tried it for this problem?
>
> I've got valgrind working, but not sure exactly how to use it to debug
> this problem. What's the procedure?

I haven't used valgrind much, but I was thinking of initdb'ing a
test cluster, loading the PL/Perl functions into it, and running
valgrind on a single-user-mode postgres process in which you issue
a query that causes the problem. I'm wondering if valgrind's memory
checks will show the code accessing memory that hasn't been initialized.

--
Michael Fuhr