Re: pl/Ruby, deprecating plPython and Core

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>, Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pl/Ruby, deprecating plPython and Core
Date: 2005-08-17 20:14:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas, Dave,

I did *NOT* want to start another discussion about what approach is
superior. Keep in mind that for us non-Java geeks most of your argument
is pure ancient Greek.

What I wanted to establish is: potentially, we will have two Java PLs with
Postgres. If we do, we need to have a clear documentation section
explaining why there are two and why a user might want to choose one or
the other. This explanation should be comprehensible to a neophyte Java
programmer and even to a DBA who doesn't do Java but has to install it.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions