Why do index access methods use LP_DELETE?

From: ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Why do index access methods use LP_DELETE?
Date: 2005-08-12 01:47:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Hackers,

I found index access methods use LP_DELETE for invisible tuples,
but it seems to be ok to remove LP_USED instead of adding LP_DELETE.

I tried the following simple replacements:
- '|= LP_DELETE' => '&= ~LP_USED'
- 'ItemIdDeleted' => '!ItemIdIsUsed'
and then, it passed all regression tests.

Why do index access methods use LP_DELETE?
Does this change make troubles?

(However, I guess there is no advantage in the change,
because unused items are not recycled until next vacuum.)

---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Cyber Space Laboratories