Re: EnterpriseDB - what happens to pgsql?

From: Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail(at)wars-nicht(dot)de>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: robert(dot)cleary(at)ul(dot)ie, "Denis Lussier" <denis(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: EnterpriseDB - what happens to pgsql?
Date: 2005-08-11 20:35:35
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 14:41:01 -0400
"Denis Lussier" <denis(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> - The Postgres community is incredibly rich and diverse. It's getting
> ever stronger and momentum is gaining for the worlds most advanced
> open source database. We're proud to be a part of this massive
> collaborative effort that is bigger than any individual, company,
> country, or continent.

PostgreSQL has a good community, we only need to spread the "most
advanced database" part a little bit so that more people will know and
take care. It does not help to have a good product/software, people have
to use it to make it successful.

> - We are trying to provide an increasing amount of functionality that
> helps free Oracle (and other proprietary DB vendors) customers from
> vendor lock-in and exhorbitant pricing. Can this be a bad thing??

Since this is, what PostgreSQL is also doing (increasing functionality):
no, this could not be a bad thing at all.

Kind regards

--
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
(Ferenc Mantfeld)