Re: Solving the OID-collision problem

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Solving the OID-collision problem
Date: 2005-08-09 21:57:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 11:28:54PM +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> As I mentioned, as time goes on, this is very likely to occur with older
> installations before it occurs with newer ones. Older databases tend to
> have older releases, hence the comment to backpatch. I regard this as a

Well, as an alternate, they could (as longas they're on 7.3.3 or
later, and they oughta be) replicate their database into a completely
new instance of the same database version. They don't need to
upgrade, and they can avoid this by setting the OID counter back.

I hate to sound like a crank (though I confess to being one), but I
don't have a huge amount of sympathy for people who run into a known
limitation with no plans for what to do with it. We were all over
the xid wraparound on one of our systems for exactly this reason --
it was a bit of an axious time, but we had a lot of notice, and we
spent quite a bit of time preparing for it.

A certain description of men are for getting out of debt, yet are
against all taxes for raising money to pay it off.
--Alexander Hamilton