Re: Stefan Simkovics' paper and pgsql version 8.1

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Shahbaz <shahbazc(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Stefan Simkovics' paper and pgsql version 8.1
Date: 2005-08-06 22:08:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Aug 06, 2005 at 05:44:14PM -0400, Shahbaz wrote:

> I would like to use postgresql for a couple of database experiments
> I've been thinking about. I found Stefan Simkovic's paper
> "Enhancement of the ANSI SQL Implementation of PostgreSQL." It is a
> great guide, although I'm wondering:
> 1. How relevant is this paper now (with release 8.1 in the works)?
> 2. Have there been any other papers like that more recently?

Wow, it's really outdated. It starts from 6.3.2, and from the abstract
I gather that the work done was to add the HAVING clause and the
INTERSECT and EXCEPT set operations. Those have been in Postgres from
before I started using it, which was 7.0.

A copy of the paper can be found here, for those interested

http://deim.etse.urv.es/ajuda/manuals/postgresql/internals.pdf

Interestingly, the paper is mentioned in the bibliography of the
official PostgreSQL documentation. Apparently there's a good primer on
relational theory, SQL and PostgreSQL history.

Officer Krupke, what are we to do?
Gee, officer Krupke, Krup you! (West Side Story, "Gee, Officer Krupke")