775,000 downloads plus

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: 775,000 downloads plus
Date: 2005-07-29 18:39:31
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Folks,

Thought you'd be interested to know that there have been 775,000 downloads
(approximately) of PostgreSQL 8.0 since release from our main FTP mirrors
and Bittorrent.

Note that this does *not* include any of the following ways to get
PostgreSQL: BSD Ports, Linux Distributions, Mac packages, SourceForge,
pgFoundry, Pervasive, Mammoth, Bizgres, PowerGres, or several of the
localized web sites, and bundled in other software and hardware like
Hyperic, GForge, OpenACS, and varios network appliances. So I think it's
reasonable to assume that that only represents about 1/2 of our total
installs to date, making them about 1.5 million.

Now, some of that will be upgrades, possibly a lot. Of the 775,000, the
most downloads of a particular version (8.0.3) was 260,000.

Regardless of how you cut the numbers, though, that means we have a *lot*
more users than we thought. I think our official number of worldwide
users should be escalated to: "Between half a million and one million."

Good thing they're not *all* on PGSQL-GENERAL. ;-)

Predictably, 2/3 of those downloads overall were Windows. Interstingly,
the plurality of Windows downloads (about 150,000) occurred in April.
What happened in April that would make so many people interested?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions