Re: Huge performance problem between 7.4.1 and 8.0.3 - CS issue?

From: Robert Creager <Robert_Creager(at)StorageTek(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Huge performance problem between 7.4.1 and 8.0.3 - CS issue?
Date: 2005-07-19 16:50:14
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 13:52:53 -0400

> Start a fresh psql session and "SHOW vacuum_cost_delay" to verify what
> the active setting is.

Alright. Restarted the 803 database. Cron based vacuum analyze is running
every 5 minutes. vacuum_cost_delay is 0. The problem showed up after about 1/2
hour of running. I've got vacuum jobs stacked from the last 35 minutes, with 2
vacuums running at the same time. CS is around 73k.

What do I do now? I can bring the db back to normal and not run any cron based
vacuum to see if it still happens, but I suspect nothing will happen without the
vacuum. I'll leave it in it's current semi-catatonic state as long as possible
in case there is something to look at?

Cheers,
Rob