Re: chosing a database name

From: Karsten Hilbert <Karsten(dot)Hilbert(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: chosing a database name
Date: 2005-07-13 19:59:02
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 12:53:15PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > we are developing GNUmed, a medical practice management
> > application running on PostgreSQL (you want your medical
> > data to be hosted by something reliable, don't you ;-) We
> > are putting out our first release sometime in the next two
> > weeks.
> >
> > The idea is to name the production database "gnumed0.1" for
> > version 0.1 (gnumed0.2 etc for upcoming releases). I do
> > realize the "." may force me to quote the database name in,
> > say, a CREATE DATABASE call.
>
> I doubt you'll have any problems with the tools, but the quoting may
> prove painful. Why not replace the dot with an underscore? gnumed0_1
Good suggestion. I will try to find a name that a) makes the
version tag unambigous and b) does not require quoting.

My main concern, however, was whether the *approach* is
sound, eg using a separate database name per release or IOW
version. One way would be to use the database name "gnumed"
regardless of release, another way would be to use
"gnumedX_Y" for release X.Y. I wonder whether the latter
approach has any drawbacks people might think of regarding
release management etc.

Thanks,
Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD 4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346