Re: Hide source code

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Merlin Moncure <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Hide source code
Date: 2005-07-11 16:27:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David,

> That some "larger organizations" choose to use the known-unsafe method
> of security by obscurity is not a reason for anybody here to expend
> any effort helping them persist in this illusion: quite the opposite,
> in fact. "Larger organizations" are likely to have security needs
> which they actually need to address, not to pretend they've addressed
> while actually making things easy for attackers.

Hmmm, I agree with Merlin, I think. It would be nice if users who didn't have
permission to EXECUTE functions couldn't view their code, either. This would
probably carry a performance penalty, though.

Users with EXECUTE permission not being able to see code just isn't practical;
we support too many interpreted languages. If this is a concern, use C
functions and compile binaries. That's secure.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions