Re: Make COUNT(*) Faster?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: PFC <lists(at)boutiquenumerique(dot)com>
Cc: Steve Wampler <swampler(at)noao(dot)edu>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Make COUNT(*) Faster?
Date: 2005-07-08 19:51:25
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 06:08:03PM +0200, PFC wrote:

> >which wouldn't have helped.) If true, I can handle that parsing myself
> >easily enough without exposing RelationGetNumberOfBlocks.
>
> Is there a way to get EXPLAIN results in a non-text-formatted way
> for easier use ?
> I'm asking, because it seems the feature set grows by the minute in
> posgres nowadays...

Not yet, but a friend of mine was working on a patch to make it output
in a custom XML format, to be able to create a tool similar to Redhat's
Visual Explain. I expect he will show up in pgsql-hackers sometime ...

In spanish: http://www.ubiobio.cl/~gpoo/weblog/archives/000397.html

"Find a bug in a program, and fix it, and the program will work today.
Show the program how to find and fix a bug, and the program
will work forever" (Oliver Silfridge)