Re: Fixing r-tree semantics

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: andrew(at)supernews(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fixing r-tree semantics
Date: 2005-06-27 14:57:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jun 26, 2005 at 09:52:03 -0400,

> Now that the module uses GIST instead of r-tree, there's no very strong
> reason why it should provide these operators at all. I propose removing
> all of << >> &< &> from contrib/cube, leaving only the four
> n-dimensional indexing operators (&& ~= ~ @).
>
> Any objections?

I seem to remember there being a problem if <, <=, > and >= operators
didn't exist and doing some operations (distinct or group by?) that
required sorting the data type. I am not sure that you are suggesting
that these operators be removed, as you didn't list them in either the
remove or keep list above.