Re: Open items

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)surnet(dot)cl>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Open items
Date: 2005-06-27 02:26:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Alvaro Herrera (alvherre(at)surnet(dot)cl) wrote:
> Additionally, my shared dependencies patch :-) I'm not sure if I'll be
> able to do both autovacuum and shared dependencies before freeze, but
> I'll try. I'm not sure if anybody is working on roles though; if I have
> to do the three of them I'm pretty sure I won't be able to meet the
> deadline.

I've been working alot on roles over the past 5 days or so (was in Ohio,
so wasn't really checking email, but I spent 5:30am to about 10:30am
both Thursday and Friday morning, and I'm working on it right now).

> I think we should leave shared dependencies out if roles do not make it
> into 8.1.

I'd really like to see roles in 8.1 and I'm trying hard to finish it
tonight. I've finished basically all of the codeing for the parts I had
on my 'milestones' along w/ some additional things. I'm finishing up
the compile-time issues for GRANT ROLE/REVOKE ROLE support and will be
doing more testing tonight trying to find things which are still broken.

One issue that should probably be fixed before 8.1 is that in the parser
I had to write the syntax like:

GRANT ROLE <roles_list> TO <roles_list>, etc

When I tried to add it like:

GRANT <roles_list> TO <roles_list>, etc

I got 9 reduce/reduce conflicts w/ the regular GRANT. I believe this
can be fixed but I'm compilers class was a long time ago. Really a bug
fix imv, but I decided to move on from it and get the code written for
it and hope someone w/ more parser familiarity can fix it. Same
happened with REVOKE (and generated 9 more reduce/reduce conflicts).

Thanks,

Stephen