Re: Clustering and replication options

From: "Ed L(dot)" <pgsql(at)bluepolka(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Gregory Youngblood <pgcluster(at)netio(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Clustering and replication options
Date: 2005-06-22 18:18:26
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wednesday June 22 2005 2:16 am, Gregory Youngblood wrote:
> I am looking for some information about clustering and
> replication options for postgresql.

Gregory,

FWIW, I've used Slony 1.0.5 for 10-15 db cluster migrations,
usually from 7.3.4 clusters on one box to 7.4.6 clusters on
another (slony is asyncronous master-slave). That has typically
involved running slony for anywhere from a few hours to a few
days. Where a dump and reload has required several hours of
downtime, slony has allowed us to cutover in a matter of a
minute or three. We've also successfully used a perl version of
dbmirror, also asyncronous master-slave.

I'd be very interested in hearing what syncronous multi-master
replication solutions you find for pgsql. I haven't kept up,
but I'm not aware of any that are still alive. The one using
Spread and Ensemble ("Postgres R"?) appears dormant as of 7.2.

Ed