Re: table synonyms

From: Mike Nolan <nolan(at)gw(dot)tssi(dot)com>
To: tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de (Tino Wildenhain)
Cc: jjeffman(at)cpovo(dot)net, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org (Postgresql-General)
Subject: Re: table synonyms
Date: 2005-05-24 15:37:14
Lists: pgsql-general

> > I hope anybody can help me on this subject. The problem is not to find
> > a substitute for the Oracle synonyms, but a way to write queries
> > which, reliably, can be used no matter the schema which owns the
> > tables.
>
> Maybe you use views?

Unless it changed in 8, you can't insert into or update a view.

I don't know if rules will do the trick or not, to be honest I haven't
figured out what they can and cannot do.

As someone who used to use synonyms at the user/schema level in Oracle
as a way to restrict access to a subset tables based on user-specific
criteria (eg, restricting salesman 'X' to only his accounts in the customer
master table), yes, synonyms would be nice.

But if you really want them, become part of the development effort.
--
Mike Nolan