Re: Image storage questions

From: "Ed L(dot)" <pgsql(at)bluepolka(dot)net>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Image storage questions
Date: 2005-05-18 21:03:42
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Wednesday May 18 2005 2:57 pm, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > What api/language are you using?  Is this possible to do
> > through DBI?  If you don't use lo_import/lo_export, how do
> > you insert/retrieve images?  Pointers to docs are welcomed!
>
> I have done it via PHP and I can definately insert with perl
> remotely (although I don't recall ever exporting):

I see DBD::Pg has an entire API for lo objects. Gee, I've only
been using that interface for 6 years without having noticed
that. Thanks!

Can you or anyone share your experiences with using blobs as
opposed to bytea or storing externally? I'm particularly
interested to know if loading a large number of images is going
to crowd my DB cache?

Ed