PREPARE TRANSACTION and friends, separate node?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)surnet(dot)cl>
To: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PREPARE TRANSACTION and friends, separate node?
Date: 2005-05-13 22:26:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hackers,

I'm looking at the grammar modifications for the 2PC patch, and I am
wondering if we should leave PREPARE TRANSACTION in the same parser/
UtilityStmt node TransactionStmt or should use a different parser node,
say PrepTransactionStmt.

Using a different parser node seems to leave a gram.c file that's 1.5 kb
smaller. However it means we need to create new copyfuncs and
equalfuncs functions; and to double a couple of checks:

(IsA(TransactionStmt, node) ||
IsA(PrepTransactionStmt, node))

However it doesn't seem to me this is too big a drawback.

What do people think? Is this important at all?

--
Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[a]surnet.cl>)
"On the other flipper, one wrong move and we're Fatal Exceptions"