Re: ip connection on local p2p network

From: Shelby Cain <alyandon(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: typing80wpm(at)aol(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ip connection on local p2p network
Date: 2005-04-29 18:31:33
Lists: pgsql-general

--- typing80wpm(at)aol(dot)com wrote:
> I just installed the windows postgresql on one of
> the five machines in our office, which happens to be
> 192.0.0.9 according to ipconfig. I have installed
> pg explorer on another machine which happens to be
> 192.0.0.101 .... What changes do I have to make
> in the various .conf files for the postgresql
> server, (and in pg explorer) so that I can connect
> to the server from the other workstation, hence
> proving to myself that I could use postgres on our
> small office network. Thanks for your help!

Shouldn't you be using 192.168.x.x addresses
internally? I don't believe 192.0.x.x is a valid
range for the non-routable non-public ip ranges.

Assuming a single NIC in the server machine, change
listen_addresses to "*" in postgresql.conf to listen
on all interfaces. You may want to tailor the
specific addresses to listen on instead if you have
more than one network.

You'll need to add a line to pg_hba.conf. As an
example, assuming you have 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
you'd add a line like "host all all 192.168.0.0/8
md5". That would enable non-ssl connections for all
users/databases and use md5 challenge/response for
password authentication over the wire.

Regards,

Shelby Cain