Re: Woo hoo ... a whole new set of compiler headaches!!

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Dave Held <dave(dot)held(at)arrayservicesgrp(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Woo hoo ... a whole new set of compiler headaches!!
Date: 2005-04-22 14:46:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, Dave Held wrote:

> [...]

Actually, what I'm more "worried" about is the optimizations added to 4.x
... I know, for instance, that with FreeBSD's kernel, for the longest time
you couldn't use the higher optimizations in 3.x, since it would cause
"unexpected results" ...

With GCC 4.x, there are new optimizations, and a while new set of
"unknowns" that we're going to possibly get bug reports for ... and, it
*is* a .0 major release for GCC, so there are bound to be bugs in their
optimizer also, and I know there are some that will see "the latest and
greatest", install it and come flying at us when its possible that its a
bug in the newer GCC itself ...

----