Re: argtype_inherit() is dead code

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: argtype_inherit() is dead code
Date: 2005-04-16 20:59:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 03:39:55PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> Digging in the CVS history, it appears that I may have broken it here:
> http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/src/backend/parser/parse_coerce.c.diff?r1=2.35;r2=2.36;f=h
> It's quite possible that it failed even before that however; I don't
> have a pre-7.0 server handy to check it on. In any case, given the lack
> of complaints since 7.0, it doesn't seem anyone is trying to do this
> kind of thing.

Given the limitations of table inheritance, it doesn't surprise me that
nobody really uses it to implement object-oriented programs.

Is it really an important area to improve, or are there other priorities?
I know some people wished we had better support for inheritance, but how
strong is that wish?

"Para tener más hay que desear menos"