Re: System vs non-system casts

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Michael Paesold <mpaesold(at)gmx(dot)at>
Cc: andrew(at)supernews(dot)com, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Subject: Re: System vs non-system casts
Date: 2005-04-12 16:49:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 06:38:41PM +0200, Michael Paesold wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> >>Just my toughts: I believe it's better when cast selection does not
> >>depend on the search_path. It seems dangerous for objects that you
> >>don't usually qualify with a schema. With all other objects in
> >>schemas I can think of, you can easily write the full-qualified
> >>name.
> >>
> >>So I vote for the latter.
> >
> >So casts created by the original superuser don't get dumped? That's
> >not good IMHO.
>
> Well perhaps there is an even better solution?

What about the simple one of having a bool "pg_cast.castissystem"
column, or something similar?

> >But yes, schema-qualifying casts seems weird:
> >'123'::someschema.user_type
> >
> >Is that even accepted by the grammar?
>
> It's the type you qualify here, not the cast, isn't it?

Yes, sorry. I'm low on caffeine apparently. Point on implicit casts
taken too.

"I personally became interested in Linux while I was dating an English major
who wouldn't know an operating system if it walked up and bit him."
(Val Henson)