JOIN on a lookup table

From: "Keith Worthington" <keithw(at)narrowpathinc(dot)com>
To: "PostgreSQL Novice" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: JOIN on a lookup table
Date: 2005-04-06 20:06:57
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi All,

I am working on a view that needs to join a table that holds lookup
information. It is a fairly simple id vs name relationship. How can I get
the different names I am looking for? Below is what I have for a query so far
but obviously it isn't working. Any hints will be appreciated.

SELECT tbl_item.id AS item_id,
tbl_item.sales_gl_account AS acct_sales_gl_nmbr,
tbl_gl_account.description AS acct_sales_gl_name,
tbl_item.inventory_gl_account AS acct_inv_gl_nmbr,
tbl_gl_account.description AS acct_inv_gl_name,
tbl_item.cogs_gl_account AS acct_cogs_gl_nmbr,
tbl_gl_account.description AS acct_cogs_gl_name
FROM tbl_item
JOIN tbl_gl_account
ON ( account_id = sales_gl_account AND
account_id = inventory_gl_account AND