BUG #1583: Locale problem

From: "Andrew Grillet" <andrew(at)grillet(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #1583: Locale problem
Date: 2005-04-05 20:13:07
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 1583
Logged by: Andrew Grillet
Email address: andrew(at)grillet(dot)co(dot)uk
PostgreSQL version: 7.4.7
Operating system: FreeBSD 5.3
Details:

error message XX000: cannot assign "" to LC_messages - or something like
this.

The cause appears to be that line 1414 of guc.c has a null string in place
of "C", at any rate, when I changed "" to "C" the problem went away.

The error message was not very helpful, and there might be some way to work
around this, but I couldn't find it. The work-arounds suggested by Linux
people did not seem to work on FreeBSD.

The locale documentation in the manual suggests that all locales listed by
"locale -a" will work. I could not get en_GB or en or en_GB.ISO5589.1 to
work, but all are listed by locale -a. (I dont really want locale support
anyway, I just want European dates.)