Re: Disk Encryption - Postgresql vs. Oracle

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Disk Encryption - Postgresql vs. Oracle
Date: 2005-04-03 01:43:38
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

Christopher Browne wrote:
> Martha Stewart called it a Good Thing when pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us (Bruce Momj$
> > Wow, nice analysis. Should this be in our documentation somewhere?
>
> Suggest a suitable section and I'd be more than happy to send in a
> patch adding this in. The only place I see pgcrypto referred to
> (which ought to be a pointer to "right place") is in the release
> notes. Or perhaps this is an item for FAQ.html?

I think Server Run-Time environment is the proper place, perhaps as a
new section at the end:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/runtime.html

I think your three approaches of filesystem-based, column-based, and
client-side based is a good analysis that should be in the
documentation. It isn't 100% PostgreSQL-specific, but showing how
pgcrypto, SSL, and encrypted file systems fit together is helpful. In
fact our MD5-encryption of the stored password is another relivant issue.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us