Re: [WIP] shared row locks

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [WIP] shared row locks
Date: 2005-03-29 04:36:22
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 11:18:05PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl> writes:
> > 1. To examine a tuple one must first call LockTuple, which grabs a pin
> > and lock in the buffer. The buffer lock is released right away, but the
> > pin is kept.
>
> Surely you don't mean that *every* access to a tuple now has to go
> through the lock manager :-(.

Hmm. Only updates (delete/select for update) of the tuples, not a
vanilla select. Is that what you mean? I realize I left out the fact
that the old rule still applies when dealing with standard select.

Oh, that's a big hole in the reasoning. The buffer has to be locked
still in 3 because of this. Will fix.

> Have you done any performance testing?

Not really. Will do tomorrow.

"La principal característica humana es la tontería"
(Augusto Monterroso)