Re: pg_autovacuum not having enough suction ?

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>, Otto Blomqvist <o(dot)blomqvist(at)secomintl(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_autovacuum not having enough suction ?
Date: 2005-03-25 23:21:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

Tom Lane wrote:
> >> I'm not sure if autovacuum could be taught to do that --- it could
> >> perhaps launch a vacuum as soon as it notices a large fraction of the
> >> table got deleted, but do we really want to authorize it to launch
> >> VACUUM FULL?
>
> > One problem with VACUUM FULL would be autovacuum waiting for an
> > exclusive lock on the table. Anyway, it is documented now as a possible
> > issue.
>
> I don't care too much about autovacuum waiting awhile to get a lock.
> I do care about other processes getting queued up behind it, though.
>
> Perhaps it would be possible to alter the normal lock queuing semantics
> for this case, so that autovacuum's request doesn't block later
> arrivals, and it can only get the lock when no one is interested in the
> table. Of course, that might never happen, or by the time it does
> there's no point in VACUUM FULL anymore :-(

Can we issue a LOCK TABLE with a statement_timeout, and only do the
VACUUM FULL if we can get a lock quickly? That seems like a plan.

The only problem is that you can't VACUUM FULL in a transaction:

test=> create table test (x int);
CREATE TABLE
test=> insert into test values (1);
INSERT 0 1
test=> begin;
BEGIN
test=> lock table test;
LOCK TABLE
test=> vacuum full;
ERROR: VACUUM cannot run inside a transaction block

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us