Re: PHP stuff

From: Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)oryx(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PHP stuff
Date: 2005-03-17 20:14:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com wrote:

> As the copyright owner, "The PostgreSQL Global Development Group," has
> the right to license the documentation any way they see fit.

The PGDG has never asked for copyright assignments from contributors (as
I gather the PHP folks do), so the copyright to Postgres is collectively
owned by everyone who has contributed to it, and not by the PGDG itself
(as Peter said). Relicensing would require the consent of all copyright
holders.

> At least in the USA, any entity that can be identified can own and
> control copyright.

So this is a moot point.

> Then, what you are saying, is that anyone could come along and create
> a paper trail calling themselves "The PostgreSQL Global Devlopment
> Group," and claim ownership.

And that simply isn't possible.

-- ams