Re: Replication suggestions (weak multi-master)

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: Postgresql General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Replication suggestions (weak multi-master)
Date: 2005-03-11 20:25:52
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 11:41:11AM +0100, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> I'm impressed by Slony and I could probably make it do what I want with
> enough trickery. But again the need to be able to connect from any
> server to any other. To put it in Slony terms, the origin never needs
> to move. If the machine is down, nothing needs to be updated.
>
> I'm considering starting with dbmirror and simply writing a script to
> make it do what I want. But I'm asking in case someone has a simple
> solution I've overlooked.

My suspicion that the log shipping support in Slony 1 (HEAD right
now) or the approach outlined at OSCON last year (anonymous file
shipping based on dbmirror -- mighty cool) is something closeish to
what you'll need.

This work was visionary and imaginative, and goes to show that visionary
and imaginative work need not end up well.
--Dennis Ritchie