Re: Help with tuning this query (with explain analyze finally)

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Ken Egervari" <ken(at)upfactor(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Help with tuning this query (with explain analyze finally)
Date: 2005-03-04 18:29:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32 pgsql-performance

Ken,

> I did everything you said and my query does perform a bit better. I've
> been getting speeds from 203 to 219 to 234 milliseconds now. I tried
> increasing the work mem and the effective cache size from the values you
> provided, but I didn't see any more improvement. I've tried to looking
> into setting the shared buffers for Windows XP, but I'm not sure how to do
> it. I'm looking in the manual at:

Now that you know how to change the shared_buffers, want to go ahead and run
the query again?

I'm pretty concerned about your case, because based on your description I
would expect < 100ms on a Linux machine. So I'm wondering if this is a
problem with WindowsXP performance, or if it's something we can fix through
tuning.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions