Re: Unicode support on Win32

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Caleb <caleb_ownz(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unicode support on Win32
Date: 2005-02-28 18:57:23
Lists: pgsql-general

Caleb wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using Windows as a development environment (and database design),
> and it seems that Unicode is not supported on Win32.

Yes, the problem is that we only support UTF-8 and the Win32 collation
routines only support UTF-16. You can actually use UTF-8 if you don't
care about ordering of the character set, but pginstaller doesn't
support those options --- you have to run initdb manually.

> Is there word on when Unicode support will be implemented on the
> Windows port of PostgreSQL?
>
> I was used to using mySQL and it supported Unicode on Windows
> properly.. But I suppose that the Windows port of PostgreSQL is still
> working in progress.

It is not a "work in progress" as far as we are concerned. You have hit
a limitation, but it is ready for serious use.

> On the other hand, could I pick a different charset for now, and when I
> need to copy this whole database to a production machine (that will use
> linux) choose the UTF-8 charset ?

Yes.

> I also don't seem to understand why you need to define the whole
> database as unicode ? Don't you only need unicode for certain fields,
> and the rest can be Latin1?

No, we don't support per-table or per-column encodings yet either.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us