BUG #1472: Win-Installation failed due to missing access-rights

From: "Joachim Schuette" <drjoschue(at)web(dot)de>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #1472: Win-Installation failed due to missing access-rights
Date: 2005-02-09 17:16:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 1472
Logged by: Joachim Schuette
Email address: drjoschue(at)web(dot)de
PostgreSQL version: 8.0.1
Operating system: Win2k
Details:

I ran the installation under a non-admin account and always it terminated
with "Failed to set permissions on the installed files...". The reason is,
the installation process sets the deny-column (Properties in Win-Explorer)
for permission in the subfolder \8.0, even when I set the access-rights for
that folder to non-changing-right before starting the installation. The
effect is similar to closing a door while wanting to go through.
Whether this behaviour is due to a message following the window for setting
up the database cluster, i.e., "failed to open local computer policy...", I
can not resolve.
Do you have any hints for a work around or is this a real bug? If necessary,
I can send you a protocol showing all the windows during installation.