Re: Locking of auto generated sequence

From: sid tow <siddy_tow(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Locking of auto generated sequence
Date: 2005-02-01 13:55:42
Lists: pgsql-general

I am using a 7.2 version of postgreSQL and here if I have to copy data in a particular table then I cannot specify the columns I want to update, but rather i will have to copy data into all the columns present. Now the problem is that I have a auto generated sequence starting from 1 in one of the columns. If I try to copy the data into this column (numerically incrementing numbers ie same as the auto seq) also then i cannot get the last value of the sequence number which I can get by
select last_value from seq;.
But if I insert data in the columns other than this one then the sequence auto increments and I get the value in my next run. Can you tell me why is it happening this way and is there any solution so that i use only copy commands to update the data.

Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com> wrote:
sid tow wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Is there a way to stop a auto generated sequence from incrementing
> for some time and then activate it to do the increments.

You might be able to do something by revoking permissions to the
sequence, and wrapping nextval/currval with security=owner functions. If
you can describe what you're trying to achieve and why that might help.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd