Re: table name restiction

From: Mike Nolan <nolan(at)gw(dot)tssi(dot)com>
To: dalen(at)czexan(dot)net (dale)
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: table name restiction
Date: 2005-01-31 21:32:26
Lists: pgsql-general

> I looked at the docs in the tutorial part in the beginning and in the
> description of CREATE TABLE but could not find naming restriction info.
> Could someone point me in the right direction?

Try section 4.1.1: Identifiers and Key Words.

In general PostgreSQL's SQL syntax is case-insensitive,
ie, col_name and COL_NAME reference the same column.

However, the default for data comparisons is case-sensitive,
so a value of 'Abc' does not match 'ABC'. There are some case-insensitive
operators, such as ilike, an extension to the SQL standard.

The issue of case-sensitivity either at the syntax level or the data
level seems to be one that brings out nearly religous ferver when 'discussed'.
--
Mike Nolan