Re: PostgreSQL clustering VS MySQL clustering

From: Christopher Weimann <cweimann(at)k12hq(dot)com>
To: alex(at)neteconomist(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL clustering VS MySQL clustering
Date: 2005-01-29 00:48:37
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 01/28/2005-05:57PM, Alex Turner wrote:

> > Your system A has the absolute worst case Raid 5, 3 drives. The more
> > drives you add to Raid 5 the better it gets but it will never beat Raid
> > 10. On top of it being the worst case, pg_xlog is not on a separate
> > spindle.
> >

> True for writes, but not for reads.

Good point.

> My main point is that you can spend $7k on a server and believe you
> have a fast system. The person who bought the original system was
> under the delusion that it would make a good DB server. For the same
> $7k a different configuration can yield a vastly different performance
> output. This means that it's not quite apples to snow shovels.

That point is definatly made. I primarily wanted to point out that the
controlers involved were not the only difference.

In my experience with SQL servers of various flavors fast disks and
getting things onto a separate spindles is more important than just
about anything else. Depending on the size of your 'hot' dataset
RAM could be more important and CPU never is.