Vacuum Looping 7.4

From: elein(at)varlena(dot)com (elein)
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>
Subject: Vacuum Looping 7.4
Date: 2005-01-25 20:34:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I have a situation where a VACUUM VERBOSE ANALYZE of table
loops on the table and its indexes.

There are inserts happening on the table while the vacuum
is going on. We sure that there are no other vacuums or
re-indexing going on.

From the archives, the only similar case
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-novice/2004-10/msg00104.php
had Tom suggesting to increase vacuum mem.
Our vacuum mem is very high.

The log is attached. Any insight would be helpful.
My ideas are to 1) turn off verbose (but then we can't
see the looping) 2) possibly use vacuum full so that
it locks the table and goes ideally quickly once through.

--elein
elein(at)varlena(dot)com

Attachment Content-Type Size
vacuum_loop.txt text/plain 11.0 KB