Re: Data entry - forms design or other APIs etc. - what is there?

From: Mike Nolan <nolan(at)gw(dot)tssi(dot)com>
To: algould(at)datawok(dot)com (Andrew L(dot) Gould)
Cc: chris(dot)green(at)isbd(dot)co(dot)uk, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Data entry - forms design or other APIs etc. - what is there?
Date: 2005-01-22 19:15:09
Lists: pgsql-general

> There are many free GUI's built for database access (many of them
> web-based using php); but most of them focus on database
> administration.

I think the reason for that is that database administration is easier
to parameterize.

There are so many different things that an application might (or should)
do that writing a generalized application development tool is a huge task.

Making it reasonably secure, multi-user aware and web-based adds extra levels
of challenges.

I've been playing around with writing a table-driven web-based database
query/edit tool for the last year and a half. It works fairly well for
some in-house applications and at one of my clients. Once I get through
the major portion of the job for this client (around the end of April,
I hope), I'm hoping to have time to look at what it would take to turn
this into a project that can be released into the open source community.

While it was written (in PHP) with PostgreSQL in mind, I've already
used it with limited sucess with other database back ends, specifically
MySQL and Oracle. I think it should be possible to make it work with
any database for which there is a PEAR implementation in PHP.
--
Mike Nolan