Re: FATAL: catalog is missing 1 attribute(s) for relid

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FATAL: catalog is missing 1 attribute(s) for relid
Date: 2005-01-15 20:05:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
>> Is there something in the 'table file' itself that is holding that relid?
>
> Oh, drat, you're right --- TOAST pointer datums contain the OID of
> the toast file they are pointing to. So any value wide enough to be
> pushed out-of-line is going to have a problem.
>
> Ugh. Not sure there is any good way out of this one. Adjusting the
> pointer datums in-place doesn't seem very feasible.

can I force the reuse of an OID? for instance, if I were to get the
map'ngs for those toast files, and then 'drop' the old database (I've got
several backups of it already), can I insert those records into pg_class,
with the proper OID? Then again, OIDs don't have to be unique across
databsaes, do they? they are only serial ... so I should be able to just
add those records into the new database, no?

----