Re: OID Usage

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Bo Lorentsen <bl(at)netgroup(dot)dk>
Cc: "pgsql-general postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: OID Usage
Date: 2005-01-14 17:41:54
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 11:47:25AM +0100, Bo Lorentsen wrote:
> Michael Fuhr wrote:
>
> >PostgreSQL 8.0 will have a pg_get_serial_sequence() function that
> >returns the sequence name for a particular column so you don't have
> >to construct it. This is useful when a table or column has been
> >renamed, in which case the above will probably break.
> >
> Quite nice but not what I need, as I still need to know the id column name.

You could query the system catalogs for the table's primary key,
either on the client side or in a server-side function. The
pg_attrdef table even has the default value's nextval() expression
with the sequence name, which could be converted into a currval()
call.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/