foreign key problems

From: BARTKO, Zoltán <bartko(dot)zoltan(at)pobox(dot)sk>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: foreign key problems
Date: 2005-01-04 12:15:40
Lists: pgsql-sql

Dear all,

I have a problem:

if I create the tables that are in the attached file, I can't insert
rows into the AAttachment table, even though the rows in DObject with
the given primary key exist (PgSQL 8.0 rc1 complains about
(ownerid)=(insert the number here) not available in DObject. The same
happens with attribute bodyid).

I have noticed that this behavior is different, if I do not use
inherited tables, e.g. if I use

create table A (
a integer references B(b),
b integer references B(b));

create table B
(b serial primary key);

insert into B values (1);
insert into B values (2);
insert into A (a,b) values (1,2);

works flawlessly.

Is this a feature or a bug or is the problem in front of the computer?

thanks

Zoltan

RAMMSTEIN, 22.02.2005 o 20,00, Bratislava Incheba,
Info: 0904 666 363, http://www.xl.sk

Attachment Content-Type Size
tables.txt text/plain 2.3 KB