Re: TODO item: make world safe for spaces in build/install

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TODO item: make world safe for spaces in build/install
Date: 2005-01-04 05:13:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Pursuant to Theodore Petrosky's recent trouble report, I thought I
> > would see what happens if you try to build Postgres in a directory
> > whose path contains spaces,
>
> The last I heard in the autotools community on this issue was "forget
> it". Not that that means it's impossible, but you're going to fight a
> hard battle with make, which has no quoting mechanism at all.
>
> > or if the install prefix contains spaces.
>
> This should be achievable, with a few thousand quotes in the right
> places.

Interesting. TODO updated:

* Allow building with directories containing spaces

There are two capabilities here, first the ability to build from a
source directory that contains spaces, and second the ability to install
into a directory that contains spaces. The first is probably not
possible because 'gmake' and other compiler tools do not fully support
spaces in path names. The second is possible with proper quoting in
the makefiles. Because PostgreSQL supports relocatable installs, it
is possible to install into a directory that doesn't contain spaces and
then copy the install to a directory with spaces.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us