Rewritten queries

From: "Keith Worthington" <keithw(at)narrowpathinc(dot)com>
To: "PostgreSQL Novice" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Rewritten queries
Date: 2004-12-27 18:45:11
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi All,

I wrote a query that created a view and when I looked at it in the database
the SELECT statement was very different. In part

SELECT items.id,
COALESCE(sales.sum, 0) AS committed,
COALESCE(purchases.sum, 0) AS on_order,
COALESCE(stock.quantity, 0) AS on_hand
FROM peachtree.tbl_item AS items...

was changed to

CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW interface.view_inventory AS

SELECT items.id,
CASE
WHEN (sales.sum IS NOT NULL ) THEN sales.sum
WHEN (0 IS NOT NULL ) THEN (0 )::real
ELSE NULL::real
END AS "committed",
CASE
WHEN (purchases.sum IS NOT NULL ) THEN purchases.sum
WHEN (0 IS NOT NULL ) THEN (0 )::real
ELSE NULL::real
END AS on_order,
CASE
WHEN (stock.quantity IS NOT NULL ) THEN stock.quantity
WHEN (0 IS NOT NULL ) THEN (0 )::real
ELSE NULL::real
END AS on_hand
FROM (((peachtree.tbl_item items

Is this expected behavior? Should I be concerned? Is the modified query
faster? Better in some way? Should I be writing my queries to conform with
the modified syntax?

Kind Regards,
Keith

99main Internet Services http://www.99main.com