Connection without database name

From: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Hacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Connection without database name
Date: 2004-12-23 09:46:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Very early in its existance ecpg got an oracle compat hack that enabled
it to do a connect with just the username and use the database as
specified via PGDATABASE. It appears that this feature is not really
used as it seems it segfault for quite some amount of releases.

While trying ot fix it I found that the libpq function does not seem to
look for the environment anymore. Or is this an additional bug in my
library. Anyone, while it doesn't dump core anymore it still doesn't
work and I wonder if it's worth the hassle.

Does anyone object against removing this completely for 8.0?

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Email: Michael at Fam-Meskes dot De