postgres protocol dissector plugin for ethereal

From: Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)oryx(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: postgres protocol dissector plugin for ethereal
Date: 2004-12-19 12:26:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

This weekend, I decided to teach Ethereal to decode the FE/BE protocol
properly: until now, it could only extract likely-looking strings from
the conversation, which I found woefully inadequate for debugging. I'm
hoping the result will be useful to other people too:

<http://www.oryx.com/ams/packet-pgsql.c>

Copy it to epan/dissectors/ within an Ethereal source tree, and change
the reference to "packet-postgresql.c" in Makefile.common to -pgsql.c,
then configure and build.

(Thanks to Kris Jurka for some testing. I've asked the Ethereal people
if they want to distribute this with Ethereal.)

Questions, comments, and suggestions are welcome.

-- ams