Re: V8 Beta 5 on AIX

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: V8 Beta 5 on AIX
Date: 2004-12-07 01:07:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > OK, so does someone want to suggest why a library used to link libpq
> > would also be needed to link binaries that use libpq? And with no
> > cc_r it seems I have no idea how to get this working.
>
> We didn't get this working for 7.4, for reasons that we are again
> becoming aware of, so I don't think it's justifiable to try to fix it
> for 8.0 at this point.

Yea, we needed this problem report during beta, not RC.

I added this to Makefile.unixware long ago:

# Unixware needs threads for everything that uses libpq
CFLAGS += $(PTHREAD_CFLAGS)

I said if we found another platform that had a similar limitation we
would fix it more thoroughly, but I needed to fix it earlier to get into
8.0.

However, one thing we can do is to try this in Makefile.aix:

# AIX needs threads for everything that uses libpq
LIBS += $(PTHREAD_LIBS)

That is going to enable thread libs for all linking including the
backend, but it might work.

Unixware found that doing this for the backend brought out threading OS
bugs and it was useless but AIX might be better.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us