Re: Doc patch needed: encodings?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Doc patch needed: encodings?
Date: 2004-12-06 18:39:17
Lists: pgsql-docs

> Linux distributions have been shipping with non-C locale settings for a
> long, long time, so that complaint would be invalid.

In US distributions it's a recent thing.   The switch to non-C locales is a
recent thing; RH Enterprise 3.0, and SuSE 9.0.  But I expect in Europe you've
been using non-C locales for a while.

I'd like to have an explanation of this somewhere else newbies are liable to
read it, *before* their first production "LIKE" query doesn't use an index.
Where would be appropriate?

And, for English speakers, what exactly is wrong with using 'C' locale instead
of the environment one?

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco