Re: Doc patch needed: encodings?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Doc patch needed: encodings?
Date: 2004-12-06 18:39:17
Lists: pgsql-docs

Peter,

> Linux distributions have been shipping with non-C locale settings for a
> long, long time, so that complaint would be invalid.

In US distributions it's a recent thing. The switch to non-C locales is a
recent thing; RH Enterprise 3.0, and SuSE 9.0. But I expect in Europe you've
been using non-C locales for a while.

I'd like to have an explanation of this somewhere else newbies are liable to
read it, *before* their first production "LIKE" query doesn't use an index.
Where would be appropriate?

And, for English speakers, what exactly is wrong with using 'C' locale instead
of the environment one?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus