Re: [Testperf-general] Re: ExclusiveLock

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, testperf-general(at)pgfoundry(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Testperf-general] Re: ExclusiveLock
Date: 2004-11-18 22:02:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom,

> I think you are right that these reflect heap or btree-index extension
> operations. Those do not actually take locks on the *table* however,
> but locks on a single page within it (which are completely orthogonal to
> table locks and don't conflict). The pg_locks output leaves something
> to be desired, because you can't tell the difference between table and
> page locks.

Aside from foriegn keys, though, is there any way in which INSERT page locks
could block other inserts? I have another system (Lyris) where that
appears to be happening with 32 concurrent INSERT streams. It's possible
that the problem is somewhere else, but I'm disturbed by the possibility.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions