Re: code question: storing INTO relation

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Kevin Brown <kevin(at)sysexperts(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: code question: storing INTO relation
Date: 2004-11-13 03:33:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 03:49:44PM -0800, Kevin Brown wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > Added to TODO:
> >
> > * Eliminate WAL logging for CREATE INDEX/REINDEX/CREATE TABLE AS
> > when not doing WAL archiving
>
> But that means that these operations can't be performed in a
> transaction unless WAL archiving is on, right?

No, because we ensure the transactionality of the operation by fsync'ing
the involved files. And the rollback-ability is ensured by registering
the files for deletion at rollback. (Just as we register the files for
deletion at commit in case of a DROP TABLE, to make sure we can roll it
back.)

So don't worry, because what you want to do still works.

"En las profundidades de nuestro inconsciente hay una obsesiva necesidad
de un universo lógico y coherente. Pero el universo real se halla siempre
un paso más allá de la lógica" (Irulan)