Re: Important Info on comp.databases.postgresql.general

To: "Kevin Barnard" <kevin(dot)barnard(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Pgsql General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Important Info on comp.databases.postgresql.general
Date: 2004-11-11 08:23:08
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Kevin,

I'm probably a bit more concerned about this than you are... I don't
want to have to post anonymously just to protect my email address...
That is precisely why I stopped using Usenet about 5 years ago - it just
got overwhelming...

I hope the owner of this list considers this issue very carefully.. I for
one will probably find support for Postgres through other mechanisms (I'm
not sure what those would be yet) if what you are suggesting may come to
pass actually does....

The quality of this mailing list has always been extremely high and it
would be a real shame to lose that....

I know that I surely do not need any more spam... To say nothing of jerks
posting infantile messages... I have a job to do and this list (as it is
now) is an integral part of that....

From what it sounds like the Usenet folks have decided up until now not
to participate on the Postgres mailing list for whatever reason.. I can
only surmise that it is not that important to them --- it is to me though
(and I imagine a lot of other people)... Why do we need to suffer at
their expense?..... I mean if they are going to actually contribute -
great, but that is simply not what appears to be happening here....

I'm certainly trying to be open minded here, but what I've seen so far
coming from them is not exactly impressing me and it is not too hard to
imagine that it only will get worse from here.

The reasons about "increased participation" only works if that
participations is meaningful, which it simply doesn't seem to be.

I'm not trying to be harsh, but a good portion of Usenet posters strike
me as brats who don't know how to behave and whoever it is that is
managing this "switch" has not done an adequate job of explaining why we
should put up with them or in the alternative what is going to be done to
keep it to a minimum (IMHO).

- Greg